Here at the Union and Blue, we are committed to covering the Columbus Blue Jackets and bringing you the latest news and opinions about the team. The Blue Jackets are not the only hockey team in Ohio and in the Ohio Hockey News Roundup we will provide a quick overview of the latest news in Ohio hockey. The primary focus will be the Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL, the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL, and the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL, as well as any interesting news at the NCAA level.
Lake Erie Monsters
Since the last roundup, the Monsters played two games at home against the Rockford Ice Hogs. Rockford took the first game 5-2, but the Monsters answered back with some domination of their own, beating Rockford 5-2 on Saturday. Lake Erie is now off until this Friday, when the Hamilton Bulldogs will visit the Q.
- Recap of Friday’s 5-2 loss to the Rockford Ice Hogs [ Cleveland Plain Dealer ]
- The Monsters answered back on Saturday with a 5-1 victory over Rockford [ Cleveland Plain Dealer ]
- Sights and Sounds from Saturday’s victory [ LakeErieMonsters.com ]
Ohio State men’s hockey opened their season over the weekend with two losses to the #2 ranked Miami Redhawks. Miami won the season opener on Friday 6-2, and followed that with a 6-3 victory on Saturday.
- The Dispatch’s Ohio State roundup [ Columbus Dispatch ]
- Recap of both of this past weekend’s games [ College Hockey News ]
Toledo opened their pre-season this past week, playing two games against the Kalamazoo Wings since the last Ohio Hockey News post. They lost the pre-season opener 5-1, but followed that up with a 3-0 win at home on Saturday. The Walleye open their season at Fort Wayne this Saturday, Oct 19th.
- Recap of the pre-season opener against the Wings [ Toledo Blade ]
- Recap of Saturday’s victory over the Wings [ Toledo Blade ]
Cincinnati played back to back exhibition games in Anchorage, Alaska on Tuesday and Wednesday. They won the first game against the Aces 4-2, but lost Wednesday’s game 6-4.
- Recap of the pre-season opener from the Aces perspective [ Anchorage Daily News ]
- Interesting article about the Cyclones Alaska road trip [ Cincinnati.com ]
My Alma Mater, Kent State, opened their hockey season last weekend with two victories, one against Indiana University of PA and rival Akron. If you live in the Kent area, Golden Flashes hockey is well worth checking out! The games are played at the on-campus ice arena. Kent Students get in for free with their ID, adults are $7 and children $3. Kent plays their next game on Friday at Western Michigan.
- Recap of the season opener against Indiana University of PA [ Kentstatehockey.com ]
- Recap of the victory over Akron [ Kentstatehockey.com ]