Here at the Union and Blue, we are committed to covering the Columbus Blue Jackets and bringing you the latest news and opinions about the team. The Blue Jackets are not the only hockey team in Ohio and in the Ohio Hockey News Roundup we will provide a quick overview of the latest news in Ohio hockey. The primary focus will be the Ohio State men’s hockey team, Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL, the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL, and the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL.
Ohio State earned their first points in Big 10 Men’s hockey last weekend. In their first conference play in the new year, Ohio State welcomed Michigan State to Columbus for a two game series Friday and Saturday. Ohio State took the first game with an impressive 5-3 victory. Michigan State lead for the majority of the second game, but Ohio State came back in the third and forced overtime. The game ended up being settled in shootout, which Michigan State won. The Buckeyes are currently tied for second in the Big 10 in goals scored per game, with 3.25. They will next take on #1 ranked Minnesota this weekend, with Friday night being an outdoor game at 9pm.
- Ohio State Earns 4 Points in the Big 10 Against Michigan State [ The Lantern ]
- Columbus Blue Jackets Defenseman, Jack Johnson, Visits Ohio State [ The Lantern ]
- Dzingel and Oddo Named Big 10 Stars of the Week [ Ohio State ]
Lake Erie Monsters
It was a rough weekend for the Lake Erie Monsters. They had three games in a row (two against Rockford and one against Milwaukee) and they came away winless. Rockford took the first game last Friday 4-3 and then followed that up with a 6-1 demolishing on Saturday. Milwaukee followed that up with a 6-5 win on Sunday. If there is anything good to be taken out of the weekend, it’s that Lake Erie did come from behind in Sunday’s game, only to fall one goal short. There have been several lineup changes due to NHL call ups, so that could have played a role in the rough weekend.
The Monsters are back in action tomorrow night in Iowa for their first game ever against the Iowa Wild. They will then play in Iowa again for an early game on Saturday at 1:35 PM.
- Lake Erie Monsters Lose At Rockford, 4-3 [ The Plain Dealer ]
- Lake Erie Monsters Lose to Rockford, 6-1 [ The Plain Dealer ]
- Lake Erie Monsters Fall to Milwaukee For Third Loss [ The Plain Dealer ]
The Toledo Walleye had a pretty successful week, winning two out of three games last weekend. Things got off to a rough start at home against the Fort Wayne Komets, with a 3-2 loss in which the Komets scored three unanswered goals. However, Toledo was able to bounce back on Saturday with a 5-3 win over the Wheeling Nailers on the road in Wheeling. The Walleye finally gave the home crowd a show on Sunday, where they shutout the Nailers 7-0. Toledo will next play the Reading Royals tomorrow and Saturday in Reading.
- Komets Edge Walleye, 3-2 [ Toledo Walleye ]
- Three Goal Second Period Helps Toledo to a 5-3 Win in Wheeling [ Toledo Walleye ]
- Walleye Shut Down Wheeling On Sunday, 7-0! [ Toledo Walleye ]
Cincinnati continued their domination of the ECHL this past week. They started things off with 4-2 road win over Wheeling last Thursday. They then followed that up with a 5-3 win at home against the Kalamazoo Wings on Friday. The Cyclones were then off until last night, when they welcomed the Gwinnett Gladiators to US Bank Arena. The Cylones walked away with a 5-1 win.
Cincinnati isn’t done for the week, as tonight they are at home against the Elmira Jackals and tomorrow the South Carolina Sting Rays are in town.
- Cyclones Topple Nailers, 4-2 [ Cincinnati Cyclones ]
- Cyclones Fry Wings, 5-3 [ Cincinnati Cyclones ]
- Luciani’s Hat Trick Highlights 5-1 Cyclones Rout of Gwinnett [ Cincinnati Cyclones ]
Tags: Columbus Blue Jackets