Columbus Blue Jackets @ New York Rangers
Monday, January 6th, 2014, 7:00PM
Madison Square Garden, New York City
It is hard to believe that after tonight the Blue Jackets and Rangers will square off only one more time during the regular season. Tonight marks the third game between the two rivals, and so far both teams have split the series 1-1. The Rangers won the first meeting at Nationwide Arena on November 7th, 4-2. The Jackets followed that up with a 4-2 win of their own at MSG on December 12th. While the game in November marked the first meeting between these two rivals, and the December game was Dubinsky and Anisimov’s first return to MSG, tonight’s game seems rather tame in comparison. However, there is still a lot on the line in this game, as the Blue Jackets only trail the Rangers by four points in the Metropolitan Division standings.
Tonight Columbus can make up valuable ground in the division standings, but they can also wash away the bad taste left by the 6-2 loss to the St. Louis Blues on Saturday. The Jackets got off to a 2-0 lead in the first and everything seemed to be going well. But the wheels fell off for the Jackets in the second period and St. Louis scored 3 unanswered goals and out shot Columbus 17-6. To make things worse, St. Louis would tally thee more goals in the third period. It was a train wreck of a game that tampered any good feelings fans had going into the new year. A win tonight could put Columbus back on the right track and regain some of the lost love from fans due to Saturday night’s debacle.
- The Rangers followed their nine game homestand with a five game road trip in which they went 3-2-0. The two losses came to division rivals Pittsburgh and Washington. New York finished the road trip with a 7-1 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs, which is the first time the Rangers have scored more than five goals in a game all season. [ NHL.com ]
- In their last 10 games, the Jackets are now 4-5-1 and the New York Rangers are 6-3-1 [ NHL.com ]
- Columbus has a PDO of 100.5 (11th overall), so some regression could be expected soon. New York has a PDO of 97.9, so they are under performing by a considerable amount. 97.9 puts them 29th overall, only ahead of the Nashville Predators. [ Extra Skater.com ]
- According to the Blue Jackets Game Day Central, Henrik Lundqvist will be in net for the Rangers tonight. This will be his second start against the CBJ this season. [ Blue Jackets.com ]
- Sergei Bobrovsky will make his triumphant return to the net for Columbus tonight. This will be Bobrovsky’s first start since he injured his groin on December 3rd. [ Blue Jackets.com ]
Union and Blue Song For the Game:
New York, New York – as performed by Reel Big Fish
Tags: Columbus Blue Jackets