Here at the Union and Blue, we are committed to covering the Columbus Blue Jackets and bringing you the latest news and opinions about the team. The Blue Jackets are not the only hockey team in Ohio and in the Ohio Hockey News Roundup we will provide a quick overview of the latest news in Ohio hockey. The primary focus will be the Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL, the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL, and the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL, as well as any interesting news at the NCAA level.
Lake Erie Monsters
The Monsters traveled out to Abbotsford for two games against the Heat. Earlier in the month, the Monsters had split a two game series with the Heat, and that would be the case once again. Lake Erie dropped the first game on Friday, 4-2. However, they came back strong on Saturday and won 3-1, to get back to .500 on the season. The Monsters will be back in action on Friday (11/1), against the Grand Rapids Griffins in Cleveland.
- Monsters.com recap of Friday’s loss [ Lake Erie Monsters.com ]
- Heat end Monsters two game winning streak (Friday recap by Waiting for Next Year) [ WFNY ]
- Win Over Abbotsford takes Monsters back to .500 ISaturday recap by Waiting for Next Year) [ WFNY ]
Ohio State mens hockey finally earned their first wins of the season, defeating Robert Morris last Friday 5-3, and again last Saturday 4-3. Ohio State now improves to 2-3 on the season. Over the weekend, Ohio State announced a partnership with Gay Hockey Ohio to host a Pride Night on January 11th in support of the You Can Play Project. That night Ohio State takes on the Michigan State Spartans.
Here at the Union and Blue we also support the efforts and the message of the You Can Play Project!
- Recap of the wins and a look ahead at tonight’s rematch against Bowling Green [ The Lantern ]
- OSU Hockey / Gay Hockey Ohio Announce Pride Night [ The Cannon ]
After a win and an overtime loss on the road, the Walleye hosted their home opener Saturday against the Wheeling Nailers. Toledo won the game 2-0. The Walleye are now 2-0-1 on the season, their best start to date. They next take on the Cincinnati Cyclones at home on Wednesday.
- Recap and highlights from Opening Night [ Toledo Walleye.com ]
Since our last update, the Cyclones defeated the Toledo Walleye (3-2) and Ft. Wayne Komets (5-4), to improve to 4-1-0 on the season.