Here at the Union and Blue, we are committed to covering the Columbus Blue Jackets and bringing you the latest news and opinions about the team. The Blue Jackets are not the only hockey team in Ohio and in the Ohio Hockey News Roundup we will provide a quick overview of the latest news in Ohio hockey. The primary focus will be the Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL, the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL, and the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL, as well as any interesting news at the NCAA level.
Lake Erie Monsters
The Monsters opened their seventh AHL season over the weekend, playing at home Friday and Saturday against the Abbotsford Heat, and on the road Sunday against the Toronto Marlies. The Monsters lost the opener, but pulled out a victory on Saturday. The Marlies won Sunday’s game 5-1.
- Recap of the Monsters home opener [ Cleveland Plain Dealer ]
- Write up on Saturday’s win against Abbortsford [ Cleveland Plain Dealer ]
- Monsters recap of Sunday’s loss to Toronto [ LakeErieMonsters.com ]
- Wisconsin State Journal preview of the Big Ten hockey conference [ Wisconsin State Journal ]
- SB Nation Ohio State hockey preview [ Land-Grant Holy Land ]
- Interview with Ohio State hockey coach Steve Rohlik [ College Hockey News ]
- USA Today Sports had a ranking of the best team names in minor league hockey. The Toledo Walleye came in at #10 (The Lake Erie Monsters finished four spots ahead at #6). [ USA Today: For The Win ]
- ECHL press release on new Cyclones head coach Ben Simon [ ECHL ]