Here at the Union and Blue, we are committed to covering the Columbus Blue Jackets and bringing you the latest news and opinions about the team. However, as many of you already know, the Blue Jackets are not the only hockey team in Ohio. While many will dismiss Ohio as a hockey state, there are Ohio based teams in all levels of hockey. In the Ohio Hockey News Roundup I will provide a quick overview of the latest news in Ohio hockey. The primary focus will be the Lake Erie Monsters of the AHL, the Toledo Walleye of the ECHL, and the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL, as well as any interesting news at the NCAA level.
Lake Erie Monsters
For starters, the Monsters are the AHL affiliate of the Colorado Avalanche and play at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. They will kick off the AHL season on Friday, October 4th.
- A good overview from the Cleveland Plain Dealer on the Monsters opening camp this past Wednesday. Includes their preseason schedule, as well as information on opening practices and an inter-squad charity skills competition [ Cleveland Plain Dealer ]
- The Monsters are doing a running series on training camp; including recaps, player interviews, and the latest news coming out of camp [ Lake Erie Monsters official site ]
The Toledo Walleye are the ECHL affiliate of the Detroit Redwings and Chicago Blackhawks. They play at the Huntington Center in Toledo, Ohio. They open their season on the road on October 19th.
- The Toledo Blade provided a great overview of the Walleye preseason matchups, as well as information on the regular season. [ Toledo Blade ]
- Just like the Monsters, the Walleye have a blog covering the latest news out of camp and preseason [ Toledo Walleye official site ]
The Cincinnati Cyclones are the ECHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators and they play their games at the old US Bank Arena in downtown Cincinnati.
- The Cyclones agreed to terms with Sebastian Geoffrion, brother of CBJ amateur scout, Blake Geoffrion [ ECHL News Release ]
Once the puck drops in the AHL and ECHL, the Ohio Hockey News Roundup will include news, as well as in depth updates on each of these teams. While I urge you to go out and support the Jackets at Nationwide, if you live close to any of these teams, be sure to support your local minor league team as well! AHL and ECHL hockey is fun and very affordable!